A domesticated animal

Over the past few years, as I've shared my interest in crafting, homecooking and gardening, I've often heard the remark, "My, aren't you domesticated!" Girls that I know who don't normally cook will pull something out of the oven and say, "How domesticated am I?" It's a word that irks me. I've spent a little time thinking about why.

I think it's because it seems to belittle the amount of time and passion that I put into the things I make. It implies that I'm a "good little wife" with no brain and nothing else better to do. Quite the contrary. I like to believe so, anyway.

"Domesticated" brings to mind cows and chickens, animals that came from wild stock that have been farmed, made docile and quiet, who will submit to being handled and moved around. A good little animal.

Well, darn it, I am not a cow.

I love what I do. I love having things to work on, and I love talking about what I am working on. I recently brought a necklace to work that a colleague has been waiting ages for me to fix. To make sure I did work on it, I left my current crochet project at home. I finished the necklace over my lunch hour and immediately felt bereft. I had nothing to do! Nothing to work on! I missed my yarn!

No, I am not domesticated. I am artful, crafty... and useful. I feel joy in my heart when I can create. It just so happens that I create with yarn, with food, with plants and with jewelry. I like to be at home with my family, sitting on the couch, on the deck, in the kitchen. I like to chop vegetables. I enjoy making dinner, even when I'm stressed and on a time limit. I rejoice when I can pull it all together. It makes me feel good about myself, especially on the days when things don't work out so well at work.

Please don't put me out to pasture. I just want to knit and crochet.

Comments