To Travel as a Hooker

This is a post about CROCHET, ok? Because that's what you're supposedly called when you crochet. You crochet with a hook, therefore, you are a hooker. And you wanna know something else? My mother taught me this craft. Ha!

Alright, enough with my clever innuendos. Let's just say I couldn't let the cable-stroking thing go.

Knitters are constantly on edge about whether or not you can fly with knitting needles. This airline says yes, this article says no. Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA, or Catsass, as my hubby likes to call it) doesn't currently outright say if it's ok. They sort of gloss over it, saying that any other items not on the list but may pose a threat may be removed. It depends on the day, or position of the moon, how scary you look... I dunno. I won't argue it. I mean, I understand that it's important the people feel safe, and really, I don't want to be the person to provide some psycho with a weapon just because I wanted to finish a scarf.

Anyway, I tend not to bring my knitting along on any holiday requiring air transport because of this, but naturally, being the OCD crafter I am, I need something to keep my hands and brain busy. I can only read for so long, and I can only poke my husband to ask him about the time so many times (I don't wear a watch - I have crazy corrosive sweat).

So, crochet it is. I have plans, people. I intend to work on either of these two projects: The Spiral Scrubbie by Judith Prindle (which will help me work through the embarrassing amount of Handicrafter Cotton in the basement) and the Victoria's Secret Skirt.

I was collecting leeks in my garden for dinner last night (which I can not share with you, because I'm Asian, and it is the mission of all Asians to keep our food secret so that the rumours of what each dish is actually composed of can provide us with entertainment for many generations), and it occurred to me that I spend a heck of a lot more time these days planning what projects to pack for vacation than I do planning what clothes I should pack. What does that say about me?

Anyway, I am not in a very good headspace today. I decided to start my second sleeve for my Copycat Sears Cardigan on dpns. My Denise cables kept coming apart with the other sleeve, and I was spending a lot of time picking up stitches and muttering, "crap, crap, crap, crap..." This sleeve has been coming along alright on the dpns, except I realized that I forgot to do that last two increases, so I spent the greater part of my lunch hour trying to go back and create the stitches with my needles. I've given up until I can get home and find a crochet hook before the whole thing felts with my frustration. My hooker side will save me, I know!

Comments