Which came first, the project or the chicken?

I'm mixing up farmyard animals and yarn. You can tell it's been a busy week. Holidays coming, parties to attend, things to bake, make, cook and knit. This must be what it's like to be an elf.

In the midst of all these holiday preparations, we booked a holiday to Los Angeles at the end of January. Woohoo! Winter sun!

I'm really excited, because the last time I was in Los Angeles, I was not nearly the prolific yarnie as I am now, and this time, I intend to visit at least a couple of yarn shops, especially in my favourite area of L.A. - Santa Monica!

Oh yeah, and we'll do some sightseeing, too.

I'm also really excited to be going home to Winnipeg for a week over the holidays, especially since I can go to Ram Wools and Wolseley Wardrobe and see what goodies are there.

Oh yeah, and I'll see my family too. Yay, mom's cooking!

When I have pending visits to urban centres, I start thinking about what I'll see, what I'll do and what I'll buy. Being the budgeter I am, I try to have a limit to what I will spend, but that just gets me thinking about what yarn I'll buy for what project.

Now, I generally try not to buy things on whims, but sometimes, it's so hard to find the yarn for a specific project at a price I'm willing to pay. Then, after circling the store a few times, I end up buying things just because they are pretty, and I think I'll come up with something to make with these things.

Problem 1: This is a good way to build up a horrendous stash.

Problem 2: This is fine if you are made of money, which, last I checked, I am not.

I have to say that I am mostly a big project knitter. I don't knit socks (but I might start soon), and you can only have so many hats and scarves and cowls (I have not yet hit that limit). I just hate the idea of having so many things just lying around, waiting to be made into something. And, I always like to buy enough to make a sweater or blanket. Something big. Something I can wear or use a lot.

Case in point: I'm still struggling to think of what to do with this huge yarn cake of Evilla I bought in Alaska. I gave up on trying to make it work with the Rambling Rose pattern - just too busy. But what? What should I do with it?

This indecision can quickly descend into stress. I do not want stress associated with my hobbies. Because, in case you didn't know, stress sucks.

So, if you have any bright ideas about what I should do with the following yarn cakes, I would be happy to entertain your thoughts!

Below is a yarn cake of Kauni - it's about 600 metres. Wool, 8/2, fingering weight. Shown in the centre, here:


This is the infamous Evilla - it's about 800 metres. Also wool, 8/2, fingering weight.


Please place your ideas in the comments below! Thanks for your brain energy!

Please also note that your suggestions will totally justify my yarn purchases. And hey, that's not a bad thing, right?

Comments