I finished my Lacy Crochet Top last Saturday. I've been trying it on, looking at it from all sorts of angles, placing it with different colours, trying it with skirts and jeans, and I've realized something.
It looks like something straight out of a Filipino wedding.
I'm not upset about this or anything, but it's funny how these things turn out in the end. I certainly didn't plan on it turning out this way, but it would not look out of place at the taking of vows in a church in Malolos. Seriously.
The path to this finished object was a struggle. I was sailing along until I hit the sleeves, and it took me four attempts to get it right. Once, I had to rip out the entire sleeve and start from scratch. They are still a little bunched up in the armpit, but they fit my arm.
It is also a little snug around the bust. I could almost get away with going braless with this, but that ain't gonna happen.
I opted to use the original straps in the pattern as a neckline, and omitted the double picot edging from the arms and the bottom of the hem. They just looked a little flimsy when I tried doing it, and I was afraid of catching them somewhere.
I'm wearing a dark blue camisole under it for these photos, but I think it would be nicer with a paler blue or pink underneath, something with less startling contrast, and a bit longer, too.
I was quite impressed with the yarn for this project. It's Elann's Lara in cream, and it just seems to glow. Lustrous without being shiny and tacky. It is a bit splitty, but no more than your average plied yarn, and I only found one knot in one of the balls throughout the entire project.
Anyway, it's not bad for a minor attempt at re-engineering a crochet pattern, and I'm hoping I feel confident enough to wear it out to something soon.
Maybe a Filipino wedding.