Inspiration Mondays: The Box of Tinker Toys

When you were a kid, do you remember going to the doctor's office, or the house of a friend of the family, and do you remember being sat down in front of a box of tinker toys or other such building playthings and been told to amuse yourself until the grownups were ready for you?

I kinda feel like that today. I have plenty of nice things to play with and inspire me today, but I'm not sure what to do with them. And I feel like I can't really get up and do other things until I make something out of them, or until my mommy comes and tells me it's time to go home.

Here are some random sights in and around my house today:

A cushion with pins from a recent jacket refit stuck into it. It reminds me of a map with destinations marked on it.

The felted petals of a flower I'm trying to make. They look like mice being chased by a pair of scissors... "Three blind mice... see how they run..."

The hostas that are beginning to poke out and unfurl from the ground, like unraveling scrolls carried by a scribe in a rush.

Purple and yellow irises competing with the daylillies for attention.

The buds of a plant whose name escapes me. Doesn't it look like kitten toes? (And no, I don't think it's the plant nicknamed "pussy toes." Those grow next to this one.)

Bleeding hearts that look like they are dripping colour onto ornamental onions.

Perhaps it's because these things are so interesting to look at that I am at a loss for words. All I can think of are the smooth shapes and bold colours that are surrounding me. Maybe that's enough... to just soak them in without comment.

So, I won't comment. I think I'll let them carry on saturating my brain until the inspiration evolves into creativity. I'm pretty sure they'll get there.

Comments

YarnKettle said…
Another great inspirational Monday post! And Yes being a person that has direct access to kitty toes that plant totally looks like kitty toes. I can send a picture if you need confirmation. :)
AdrieneJ said…
Hehe, yes, I was sure you could vouch for my mental image. It's cute, isn't it?