So, It Looks Like a Shell

I'm sitting here feeling a bit grumpy because I went through great lengths for the sake of a bit of poetic license and failed.

I wanted to share my Mizzle, which I finished on Sunday. Its shape reminded me greatly of a scallop shell I had stashed in a box of knickknacks in the basement. I thought I'd bring it out and take some photos of it to compare to it.

I thought I'd tell you how I picked it up on the shore side at Portavogie in Northern Ireland, right at the docks. There's a restaurant there, and you could see the fishermen dock and clean the fish and scallop shells. They would discard the fish guts in the water, where seals would be waiting to gobble them up. The shells would get thrown onto a pile on the shore.

But I couldn't find the shell.

I thought I'd tell you how I was going to use the shell as a base for my tahkli spindle. I'd heard of other people using shells to support the pointy base, since shells are so robust and calcified.

I couldn't find the thing anywhere.

I thought I'd share how the shell came along with me in a box full of other nice things I'd picked up on my travels, and how the decorated egg shells from Austria they traveled with got destroyed.

No scallop shell.

I turned the house upside down looking for it. I did find a cable needle, a couple of books and half a tortilla chip.

Shell? Nope.

So yeah, my shawl looks like a shell. A scallop shell, specifically. You'll just have to... imagine it.

Comments

Gorgeous shade/tone of pink! Great job with this one! *applauds*
AdrieneJ said…
Thanks! I don't normally go for pink, but I'm glad I stepped out of the box for this one!
Mimi Laura said…
Dawg suggested I look a t your blog... I love your shawl... even if it is pink..... have him share the song he wrote through fivver.. for my knitting group.....
AdrieneJ said…
Ah yes, he told me about your song! I'm going to have to ask him about it. Thanks for visiting!
YarnKettle said…
As always-Beautiful! Hopefully your shell will find you, since you can not find it.
AdrieneJ said…
I'm hoping it'll pop up somewhere. I'm starting to think it was a victim of one of my "clean up quick" days. :(