Inspiration Mondays: Maybe the Turbo Blasters Will Kick In

Labour Day and we're on vacation in Kanab, Utah. We arrived here last night and got some pretty spectacular sights as we were driving in. Here is the view from our hotel window:

Kanab is a nice little town, and so far we've enjoyed good weather and good meals, and our hotel is dang nice as well. We've done our time in cheap, crappy motels, and we're glad to say that we got this one at a great price, breakfast included. I love the phrase, "breakfast included." It's almost the same as, "jackpot pending," or "free yarn."

Today, after I enjoyed my "jackpot" (biscuits and gravy, anyone?), we headed out to the infamous Grand Canyon. I'd been there as a child, but I really couldn't remember it. I have a colour photo somewhere that shows a ribbon of water sandwiched between rock above and below. I think I took it with a Kodak Ektra, or a camera of a similar shape. I must have had a viewpoint straight down to the Colorado River, pointed the camera at it, and snapped it.

I was eight. What did I know about taking pictures?

Anyway, The Grand Canyon is still truly grand, and holy cow is it ever high up. We were at 8800 feet, higher than I've been in a long time on foot. Going up slight slopes winded me immediately, and while I admit I'm not the fittest person on the planet, that is not something that would knock me down like that at home.

The only consolation is that, after spending time in this kind of elevation, my lungs will adapt. My friend, Sarah, found that going for a run after spending some time in Colorado was like having turbo blasters attached to her feet. Muscle efficiency, at least for a short time.

I figure that, if that's what's going to happen to me, I may as well take advantage of it. When I get home, I'm dragging out my Jillian Michaels DVD and hitting the basement. I need to lose some lazy-summer-belly-fat anyway. And if the turbo blasters are going to be there, I should use them while I've got them.

Of course, there is the possibility that the blasters will misfire and I'll get shot right into the wall... but I'll take that chance!

Comments