Saturday and the Stew Pot

Behold: my new slow cooker. 8 quarts of slow heating goodness. It came home with me this morning from the local Canadian Tire store.

Just last night, I remarked to my friend, Dawg, "Man, I love Canadian Tire. I could spend all day in there." And it's true. If you want a deal, you're gonna find it in that store.

When I got home from work yesterday, I plonked myself down on the couch and started leafing through the Canadian Tire flyer. Such wild Friday night antics often occur in my house, and usually you hear phrases uttered like, "Oh, that's cheap" and "Hmm, I wonder what that's like" as a result. I came across the ad for this slow cooker. It was on sale for $29.99.

"Oh, that's cheap," I said aloud to Rascal, who was lying next to me.

He snuffled, then buried his head in his paws and promptly began to snore.

I started thinking about what I would do with such a thing. I could make my famous stew and dumplings in it, I thought. That would be easier than trying to fit it all in my one pot.

Then the yarnaholic spoke up. Or, you could use it to dye a big batch of yarn, she said. 8 quarts is a lot of space.

I pondered it for a few minutes, then put the flyer away, confident that I could live without it. I wasn't sure if I had a use for it. If I still wanted it in the morning, I could easily go down and get one.

I woke up this morning, rolled over, and thought, Ok, I better go get it.

Hubby and Rascal and I got into the car to run a few errands after breakfast. They waited in the car while I went in to explore. "They probably won't have any left," I said as I shut the car door.

My heart began to beat a tiny bit faster as I walked in. I went straight over to the kitchen section and started scanning the shelves. I saw sign for another slow cooker that was also on sale, a self-timing one that held 6 quarts. The shelf was empty. Hmm. Then, another sign for another cooker that was also on special. That shelf was empty, too. Uh oh...

I walked to the end of the aisle and found them on the endcap. Hamilton Beach 8 quart slow cooker: $29.99. "Twenty-naaaaaaaaahn nahndy-nahn!" said the commercial playing in my head. There were two on the shelf. Yes...

I looked around. People were walking around behind me, browsing the shelves. I immediately felt protective of my quarry. I widened my stance. I put my hands on my hips. I pretended to be fascinated in the George Foreman Grills that were on the shelf about so that I wouldn't draw attention to my prize. Then, when everybody passed and I was left standing alone, I ran quickly walked purposefully over to the shopping carts. I retrieved one, then returned to the endcap and loaded a box into my cart. Sweet victory!

So, what am I gonna use it for? Well, I could either cook with it or dye yarn with it. You're not supposed to use it for both purposes, because yarn dye can be toxic, even "food safe" dyes. So, I had to decide which was more important...

Well, I couldn't decide. So, I bought two.

Don't judge me. The guy in line in front of me at the store already gave me a strange look, even after I told him that I was getting one for my friend... yeah, my friend...

My friend, the yarnaholic. Or the stew-lover. They live happily together in my head. We're all one big, happy family in there...

Comments

YarnKettle said…
As soon as you mentioned you could cook in it or dye in it I thought to myself; you can not do both, surely Adriene knows that right? And you did! Have fun with both of your crackpots and I hope to see the results of each one also.
PS, One day if you could explain Canadian Tire to me that would be great. I thought it was a tire store, you know like the ones you put on your car, I did not know they sold other things.
AdrieneJ said…
Canadian Tire used to be just tires and other car stuff, but now it's more like a house and home place... kind of like Home Depot, but with not as many building supplies.