Saturday, December 3, 2011

And Then I Fell Asleep

Here were my plans for today:
  • Walk the dog
  • Pick up a few groceries
  • Make some chocolate truffles
  • Photograph my latest project
  • Write a blog post
It started off well. I had a nice sleep in this morning - not too late, not too early. I did some yoga, then made myself some oatmeal for breakfast. I schlepped around in sweat pants while I looked at my chocolate truffle recipe to make sure I had everything. Eventually, I got changed and we headed out to run some errands.

We got back at around noon, and I started making my truffles. The ganache needed some time to set, so I put a lid on the bowl and set it outside in the snow (large deep freeze, just outside my door). Then, I decided that I would head down into the basement, pop in a workout DVD and get some exercise. Yay me.

An hour later, I emerged, panting and sweating. I headed for the shower, then slurped down the soup the hubby made for lunch. After that, I dove headlong into truffle-making. Yay me.

That's when things started going wrong.

I burned some chocolate. I discovered that, despite buying extra chocolate, I was going to run out. I was starting to get chocolate every where. I was tired from my workout. I was starting to get grumpy and snap at the hubby. It was getting warmer outside, and my extra large deep freeze just outside my door was not as efficient as I'd hoped.

I put one set of the truffles in the freezer and put the bowl into the fridge and decided I'd have a rest. I sat on the couch, picked up the laptop and started surfing the net for truffle molds, as I do every year when I make these darn things.

Then, I fell asleep.

When I awoke, the daylight had disappeared, Rascal was curled up at my feet, and my slightly damp hair had dried with one side pushed upward like I'd walked through a windstorm with my right side against a wall. Hmm... I guess I'm not taking photos today, I said to myself.

I sat on the couch for a while, feeling a little grumpy because I'd wasted half the afternoon sleeping, but I decided that, darn it, I was going to try taking these photos anyway.

I busted out the hair straighteners and repaired my weird-looking head. I put on a dress, a pair of earrings and matching necklace. I even wore the appropriate foundation garments. I rigged lights, tripods and timers. I worked at it, people. The only thing I drew the line at was putting on any makeup, because I really, really didn't feel like taking it off again this evening.

So here it is: a bolero made from two skeins of Cascade Ultra Pima in silver with a handsewn ruffle made from satin ribbon. I pressed the ribbon into pleats using a warm iron with a damp tea towel in-between. The back lace panel blocked nicely, and the whole thing is hanging beautifully.

There is one teensy, weensy error on this thing, but I refuse to tell you where it is. Suffice to say that I am not going to bother fixing it, because it would entail much ripping out of stitches, and lots of blood, sweat and tears. Apart from that, I am very, very happy with it.

What you can't see is that I'm actually still wearing my sweat pants underneath this dress. And what of it? Maybe that's the look I'm going for. Maybe that was the purpose of this whole endeavour.

Or maybe I just wanted to get back to lounging on the couch. It is my weekend, after all...


  1. Very nice job on the shrug, and on the ensemble too - I'm the same way about getting dressed up for pics - ugh! Yours turned out very cute. ;0)

  2. Thanks, Robin! It was a surprisingly satisfying project. Thanks for stopping by!