The Power of Unbuttoning

I finished my Moody Cardigan (which I have decided to call Paprika) on the weekend. It was an interesting knit, since the pattern was a little convoluted, and there were a couple of errors I had to straighten out. I was loving it as I was knitting it, though, and I couldn't wait to finish it so that I could wear it. I finished all the knitting and weaved in the ends on Sunday night, then I blocked it that evening and sewed the buttons on the next day.

Hmm. Eep, opp, ork, ah ah...

Those are the noises I make when I'm unsure. It's from an old Jetsons episode, I think.

Anyway, I didn't love it. Two problems:

  1. I messed up on the placement of one of the buttons holes. It forgot to add it in as I was knitting it, so it's a tad too low.
  2. It just didn't look... right.

I went back to the pattern and looked at the pictures. I started talking myself down:  I don't look anything like that swan-necked beautiful blonde model. I don't have that body. I am oval-shaped. I'm Mrs. Humpty Dumpty...

Then, I looked at the project pages of people on Ravelry who made the same sweater...No Humpty Dumpty-like people there. Hmmm.

And then, I unbuttoned the front. Hey... wait a minute!

And then, I loved it again.





So, the moral of the story is, when it doubt, unbutton it. 'Nuff said.

Comments

YarnKettle said…
Wow that is a great color on you. Congrats on your beautiful new sweater.
AdrieneJ said…
Thanks! I was really quite surprised at how flattering a colour it is for me!
Becky said…
Cool sweater! But man, I hear you about the photos of cute modelesque girls wearing knitwear. I've taken to looking for project photos of women closer to my size. Usually I end up bitterly swearing that I'm not going to knit myself a sweater until I lose 30 lbs. :P
AdrieneJ said…
I'm back and forth about finding people of a similar size as me in the project photos. I think that my brain tells me that if I knit the sweater that the slim girl is wearing, I will magically look like her. That is sadly not the case!