Purge Surge

Just over one month to moving day, and we're approaching survival-mode. In an effort to get a handle on how much stuff we actually have, I've been moving all my clothes into suitcases and boxes and living out them so I can clear the closets. All non-necessities are slowly being boxed up. I look around the house each day and think to myself, "Do I REALLY want to move that, or should I just get rid of it?" It's a non-stop purge right now. Cute baskets? Gone. Glass vases? Gone. Anything that I can pick up for a couple of bucks at a thrift shop is out.

We're starting to gauge how much food we have in the cupboards and trying to figure out how much perishable stuff we really need to buy each week without too much going to waste. We had a going-away party for a friend a couple of weeks ago, and I joked that I was going to use up all my graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and tuna in a recipe of my own creation.

Don't worry, I'm not that creative. I only used a little bit of tuna... wink wink...

In an effort to use up some overripe bananas and some flour, I discovered this recipe online a couple of weeks ago for a "clean" banana bread, that uses honey as a sweetener and apple sauce to bind it, rather than the usual sugar and oil or butter. It was good! I only used 1/2 cup of honey instead of 3/4 cup (because I ran out) and it was still delicious. You could probably add some cinnamon or nutmeg if you wanted for a wee bit more flavour, but it was tasty as it was, and perfect for an after-work/before-the-dog-walk snack.

It was so good that I went out and bought more honey so I could make it again. I know... I failed at the cupboard purge that day.


I also had some "loose end" knitting I needed to do. Tara, dkzack and I decided a while back that we wanted to make our own three-person version of Knitty's BFF Cowl. We all chose a skein of Berroco Ultra Alpaca to knit our own panels from. Once we've knitted our panels, we'll trade with each other so that we all end up with a section from each other to put together to make a cowl. And since I'm moving soon, I figured I better get the job done.

I chose the motif from Katya Wilsher's Golden Dreams Scarf, which I have been admiring for a long time. The alpaca blend yarn gives it quite a different look, but I still think it's pretty. I will likely try it again in a cotton or silk blend yarn to make a stole or shawl. I left long tails at either end to be used for seaming the sections together.


The lacy sections kind of remind me of trilobites. What do you think?


In the meantime, the packing continues. Today, I was faced with the sight of some of the hats from my collection that I have no idea how I will pack. I guess that's the dilemma for the day. In the old days, a lady would use a hat box, but I'm not sure how I'll get my hands on one of those right now. Any useful suggestions out there?


Comments