Lunch Box, Handbag, Gym Bag, Knitting Bag?

I got promoted this week. Different job, new responsibilities, new challenges. It's a position they were grooming me for, and I made the grade earlier than they expected, so up I went. I was sort of doing half of my previous job and half of the new job until this afternoon, when I moved completely over to the new gig. I'm excited, and a little freaked out.

I'm most excited by the prospect of having my own office, not because I hate people, and not for prestige...

I just want to have my own little space to knit during my breaks.

I'm torn about the idea of bringing my knitting to work. To date, I haven't knit a single stitch at this job. I just don't know if I want to go there, you know? All the explaining... "What are you making?" "Is knitting cheaper than buying your clothes?" "You can get cheaper yarn at Walmart." "Will you make me a sweater/scarf/mitts/huge mofo blanket?"

The upside is that I would get a few minutes to knit a few rows, and have some time to myself to boot. It's a busy job... we're all a team, people are counting on you, things moved quickly. It's fast, yet supportive.

But sometimes, you need a bit of yarn time.

As I was moving my things over this afternoon, I looked over to the one wall that has a random table sitting against it. I think that might be my little break space. It's far enough away from the door to hide, but not so far away that I can't hear when someone needs me. Maybe it needs a little table runner and a vase, a tray, one of my nice tea cups, a bowl of sweets... maybe a huge pile of yarn to sleep in...

Yeah, they won't get that.

Anyway, I'm proud of how far I've come in seven weeks. I've got a lot to do and a lot to learn, but I'm happy to have the opportunity to change directions in my working life. And, given that I work with people who understand that the creation of things takes time and effort, maybe I won't feel the need to shy away from them with my projects.

So next week: lunch box, handbag, gym bag, and knitting bag. Wait'll I bring my spindles in. Hoo boy, this could be an interesting time!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've started brining my knitting in to work lately. So now, when I close my office door I can either be quietly working, reading, napping, or knitting. I love the mystery. :)