How Forgetting My Swimsuit Saved Me

Life has a way of forcing you to take it easy when you really need to... and that's a good thing.

I planned for today to be a really active day: I was going to get up early and get a bike ride in for my training for a fundraising bike tour I'm taking part in, then I was going to come home, take Rascal for his morning walk, then walk to the pool and go for a 30-minute swim, then walk home. This was all to take place before lunch time.

Yeah, now that I think of it, I don't know what I was thinking.

I sprang out of bed at 5:45am, got dressed, strapped on my bike helmet and headed off for a 26km ride. It was a frustrating ride, because I was having trouble with my gears, and I arrived home feeling tired and irritated. I subjected the hubby and Rascal to a grumpy 40-minute walk, then we deposited Rascal at home and walked another 20 minutes to the pool. As we walked through the doors, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten my swimsuit. To go home and get it would entail another 20 minutes back, and even if I drove back up to the pool, I would miss the entire lane swimming time.

Well, that's a message if I ever heard one.

I left the hubby at the pool, where he enjoyed a peaceful swim sans grumpy wife, and I walked home. I said to myself, "You know... just go home and take some time to yourself... and relax, for heaven's sake." So, I got home made a cup of coffee, surfed the internet for a bit, then had a short nap. When I got up, I showered, then made myself a batch of these homemade Oatmeal-to-Go-type muffins to bring for my snacks at work next week:


Then we went out for lunch at the cafe at the marina:


Then we napped some more:


Then, I actually sat down and did some knitting, which I hadn't done all week, thanks to a crazy work schedule. I even had the presence of mind to fix a 12-stitch cable that I had messed up 10 rows down:


Is that friggin' impressive or what?


In the meantime, I had a batch of these English muffins rising. I just took them off the griddle, and had three a sample. Those will be happening again, I assure you:


In all, Saturday has turned into a nice, quiet day. It took a forgotten swimsuit to remind me that I needed one. I think I'll veg on the couch a bit more before dinner. Later, y'all.

Comments