Rain, With Periods of Inertia

inertia (in·er·tia)
noun
1.
a tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged.
"the bureaucratic inertia of government"
synonyms: inactivity, inaction, inertness; More
2.
PHYSICS
a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force.
It's raining. A lot. It's been raining most of this week. A lot.

Yeah, I know everyone: According to the rest of the world, this is not unusual in British Columbia, Canada. I KNOW. But after the summer we had, getting the dregs of Hurricane Ana is kind of hard for me to adjust to.

I am a pile of mashed potatoes. I can't think of anything more inert than that. That's how I felt when I looked out and took this photo of our deck. I even turned it artsy-fartsy black and white in an effort to show how motionless I've been.


I don't know if it's because of all this rain, or the darkness in the mornings and the evenings, or not being able to get outside much this week, but MAN have I been doing nothing. I mean, I've been getting up and going to the gym and going to work, but apart from that, yeah... no. I am someone that usually had something that needs to be done: if it's not my yarn projects, it's packing my gym bag or making my lunch or making my morning smoothie, or cleaning something... or, more accurately: thinking about cleaning something. But nope. Just a whole lotta sittin' goin' on after work this week.

My inertia seemed to last until about 5pm today. Before that, I went out and did the grocery shopping (or rather, I went with the hubby and moped the whole time), and then after lunch, I sat on the couch and watched a bunch of YouTube videos (managed to wrench myself loose from watching pimple extractions to switch over to a steady stream of The Voice auditions).

And then, I jumped up at 5:00pm and decided to hem some trousers that have been sitting on a chair in the bedroom for about a month. They're so long that I need at least a 3-inch heel to get them off the ground. All that dragging was really wrecking them:


How's that for a nice repair? Another press should make them perfect:


I did manage to do a bit of yarn work this week. I took my freshly blocked Peekaboo Mitts to the local knit night on Tuesday and finished embroidering a simple little pattern on them. I bought the green embroidery floss at the yarn shop that night:


And inner compulsions are trying to get over that the flowers aren't perfectly symmetrical. Still, they're pretty, no? And they fit my hands really well, and will keep this reptilian-handed-always-cold-knitter warm.


And well, they're going to come in handy with a forecast like this:


Hopefully, my mojo will kick in again and will start taking advantage of this weather to park myself on the couch to do some good old knitting. After all, I have a shawl to finish to wear for Christmas.

Oh yeah. That's coming up. Better shut up and get knitting.

Comments