Pumpkin Inspirations

And just like that, it's mid-November. Fall/winter... whatever. It's getting colder and darker, and therefore it's time for warmer things... handknit hats and mittens and sweaters... movies on the couch... mid-afternoon naps on the weekends...

And cute little pumpkin squashes. A friend gave me these out of her mother's garden. Such lovely colours.


Rascal was intrigued.


At least, he was until I made him sit through a photo shoot with them.




He wasn't so impressed after a while. It's hard to be excited about vegetables when you're technically a carnivore.


Anyway, one of those became a pot of soup today, and whatever didn't make it into the soup was roasted to perfection and picked at all day by yours truly.


And then I took the pumpkin seeds and roasted them in Worcestershire sauce and salt, also picked at all day by yours truly.


It's funny how a few squashes bring such welcome colour into the dark, dreary days. It inspired me to wander up to my yarn stash today and gather these skeins of merino/cashmere/nylon sock yarn, all from my friend Tara's yarn business, Dragonfly Dyewerx. They're from some of her first dye batches (can I call these vintage, yet, Tara?) and every time I see them together, I think that I really need to make something with all of these colours all in one project. Clockwise from the top: Pumpkin Spice, Honeydew, Killer Tomato (which is more orange-y in real life) and It's Grape to Be Me. Prettee.


I can't wait to start playing with these. I'm thinking I've got enough to make a cardigan, if I play my gauge right. I've been scoping out patterns and playing around with it in my head. It could be a fun winter.

For some of us, anyway. I think he's hoping I don't get any other winter vegetables. He might want to renegotiate his modeling contract soon.

Comments

YarnKettle said…
Yum, the soup sounds great and those colors, wow!
I can not wait to see what you make with them.
Poor Rascal, he just wanted a sniff then got a modeling contract instead. I hope the treats he earned were tasty.
YarnKettle said…
This comment has been removed by the author.