Dilly-Dally and Dawdle

You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
What mood is that?
Last-minute panic.
― Bill Watterson
I was a straight-A student my whole life. I was good at problem-solving and studying and writing essays, and I was especially good at getting my homework done and out of the way so I could enjoy time to myself.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and I seem to have become the best homework-evader on the planet.

I'm taking a calligraphy class at the moment, and for the second week in a row, I am struggling to sit myself down to get my homework done. All of this stuff below is the work I'm managed to crank out in class, but I'm supposed to bring in samples of a phrase I've been practicing for next class, and I have yet to even crack open my paper pad:


It was raining yesterday, which would have been a perfect excuse for settling down and working on my homework, but we decided to go out and run some errands and buy the groceries. And then I baked some bread. And then I decided I'd spend time taking photos of Seymour next to the groceries because that seemed like a good use of my time:


I had nowhere in particular to be today. I was going to work on my homework after I came home from the gym, but I decided I'd roast some kabocha squash, and then I decided to read about the uses of kabocha squash, and then I decided I needed to make some hummus to put on some toast (from the bread I made yesterday) so that I could top it with some of this squash... along with a slice of pastrami... and some red roasted red pepper.... with some homemade butternut squash soup on the side: 


And then I decided to make some cupcakes... because one should not put off making cupcakes:


Then I was too full to do anything, so I took a nap.

When I woke up, we took Seymour out for a walk, and then I remembered I had some shrimp defrosting in the fridge, and that I had big plans to use up the phyllo pastry I'd been hoarding in the freezer, so I got up and minced up the shrimp and mixed it with some pork, shredded carrots and green onions, garlic powder, salt, and minced ginger:


And ended up making these, sort of a cross between a samosa and an Asian spring roll:


Which meant I needed to cook some rice and stir fry some pak choy to have on the side because I'm Asian and it feels wrong to have something resembling a spring roll without rice and stir-fried greens:


So now I'm sitting here, totally knackered and just wanting to sit here and play with some yarn. I've been messing around with a couple of skeins of rambouillet/alpaca handspun I got at a fibre festival I attended last year. I've tried lots of different ideas, but it seems to finally be coming together in a mitered square pattern I'm improvising right now. It seems a shame to stop now to do any calligraphy homework:


So I guess I'll do my homework tomorrow... if I don't get distracted by anything else before then... except I WAS going to make some muffins... and I do have to finish reading a book so I can return it to a friend... and I need to plant some seeds for my vegetable garden...

Oh man... I'm going to end up in detention at this rate. I better just settle down and get to work... after I do a bit of yoga this evening...

Have a good week!

Comments

Candice said…
Procrastination level: expert

(I like to procrastibake, too!)