Forms of Inspiration

Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work. ― Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
It's Victoria Day Long Weekend here. This is the time of year when I just can't keep track of when the public holidays are... there just seem to be so many this time of year. I suppose I should just enjoy it because there's always that stretch when it seems like FOREVER since I had a day off.

We went out for a walk with Seymour this afternoon at a local forest park which we have been to many times over the last few years, but this is the first time I noticed this squirrel-sized home in the trees. Rocky wasn't home at the time. I guess he was out with Bullwinkle:


I haven't felt much motivation or inspiration for my normal projects these days. I think it's partially because there are so many new things around me to distract me. We were fortunate to get a bit of rain over the last week or so. That makes the garden a really inspiring place these days, as each day I go out there I see something about to blossom. I've been enjoying watching the rhododendrons bloom:




I also have a couple of rosebushes which are just about to burst with red, pink and white blossoms:


The cornflowers have been delighting me daily with dozens of blooms:


I have no idea what this is, but it was a surprising discovery at the back of the house:


I've been wondering where the hummingbirds have gone, as my feeder seems to be totally neglected these days. Yesterday, I walked under this laburnum and heard a steady hum above me. When I looked up, I saw a metropolis of busy bumblebees and hummingbirds moving from flower to flower. It gives me hope to see to many pollinators around:


And the yarn... well, I haven't felt much inspiration around the yarn recently. Every time I pick up my project, I feel this pull to go find something else to do. I never thought I'd be so inclined to look for re-runs of House to distract me from my projects, but there you go. I think it's because I'm not really feeling this project anymore. Maybe it's because it's far too warm to wear anything wooly these days, or maybe it's because I'm not all that impressed with the result:


I can't decide if I like this thing at all yet. I am pleased that I figured out how to make those half triangles at the top edge of the shawl, but I'm also a little annoyed by the wonky points. I'm not super happy with the single crochet edging either.... but I do like the effect of the mitered blocks with this yarn. It's a real mixed bag, I tell ya. Maybe I'll like it more when I sew in the ends and give it a good blocking:


Or maybe I could go find another skein of yarn and put on another episode of House. That might do the trick. Heh.

On the other hand, we've been blessed with a sunny, warm day today. Maybe I'll go toodle around the kitchen for a while. I have an idea for a couple of mini cheesecakes made with goat cheese that I want to try out. I guess that's the way it is with inspiration sometimes. You just have to take it in whatever form it comes... and cheesecake is a pretty good form if you ask me.

Happy Victoria Day! Have a great week.

Comments