Ok, I Changed My Mind

Color is a power which directly influences the soul. --Wassily Kandinsky.
Remember when I said I was leaning towards the soft, gentle tones of this skein of yarn a couple of weeks ago? To quote myself, I said, "I find its gentle tones a comforting antidote to the harshness of an overwhelming, high definition, 4k world."


So, I think I've changed my mind because all around me I am entranced by beautiful, saturated colours that stop me in my tracks each day. I come to a screeching halt every time I walk past this patch of poppies on my way to work:


And my garden is also bombarding me with breathtaking colour these days. I was so surprised to see the deep red of these roses when they bloomed. I don't know why, but I had it in my head that the roses growing along this trellis were white. That is the reddest white I ever did see:


And the rhododendron in front of the house is putting on a spectacular show of watermelon red. Every time I think it can't get any prettier, it proves me wrong with even more sumptuous blooms:


I pulled out a few skeins of fingering weight yarn from my stash which are just calling to me at the moment, inspired by the show of reds and pinks around me. Left to right are: a skein of merino from Fleece Artist (they never name their colourways, which sort of annoys me, but whatever), a skein of superwash from Sweet Georgia in Pomegranate, and a skein dyed by my friend Tara from Dragonfly Dyewerx in Raspberry Jam:

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with these now that I've pulled them out. I am simply drinking in their colour at the moment because it just seems like the right thing to do. The trouble is that we're about to go into a week of hot weather, so my enthusiasm for anything wooly is a bit weakened at the moment, as tends to happen every summer. I suppose I should consider that this house tends to stay nice and cool because of all the trees around it, so much so that I find myself wearing a cardigan in the evening almost every evening of the year. Maybe this means I'll feel like diving into a wool project after all. At the very least, it's a sign that this house might really be a perfect fit for a knitter like me.

It's a mild evening tonight, so I think I'll sit out on the steps for a while with Mr. Seymour and enjoy the flowers for a while. And here's a wild idea: I might take my knitting out and work on it for a change:


Have a great week!

Comments