Sunday, December 15, 2019


I guess it's been about a month since I last posted anything. A lot of stuff has happened. Whenever I go for long stretches without posting, I feel a bit overwhelmed when I finally do sit down to write something. How much do I wanna write about? Does anyone really want to know? Well, here goes:

I had a birthday. It was uneventful, apart from a pretty cake from the local bakery and a day at the dog park:

The following Saturday, I got an early morning phone call about a family emergency. I got on an airplane a couple of hours later and then spent the next two weeks between my parents' house and the hospital. It was long and tiring and is still unresolved.

I spent a lot of time wandering around the hospital. I found these ornaments in the gift shop which were quite inspiring. I may felt a couple myself sometime:

I met this therapy dog in the ICU. His name was Jackson. I gave him a good ear scratch and then e sat down next to me and wouldn't leave:

We got transferred to another hospital, to another ICU. A few days later, things were stable enough for me to come back to the Island. I arrived back last Sunday, and am scheduled to go back next Saturday for our official Christmas visit. None of us know how that will go.

In the meantime, I am busying myself with stuff. I made a hundred billion chocolate truffles. It was hard because I kept seizing the dipping chocolate in the microwave, which is normally not a problem for me. I started over again today and did it the old-fashioned way in a water bath. It was slow and annoying, but it forced me to breathe deeply and not panic:

This is way too many chocolates. And those big misshapen things are chocolate-dipped marshmallows, which I made because I couldn't bear to throw out any leftover chocolate after all that hassle. I may never make another chocolate again. I sure as heck don't feel like eating any:

Meanwhile, my Rozeta blanket project continues. It came with me to Winnipeg and kept me busy while I sat next to IV pumps and ventilators, in waiting rooms and cafeterias, and in departure lounges at airports. I've finished the central mandala and the four corners and am almost finished the bottom panel. The instructions for the final border come out on Wednesday, so I am unsure if it will be finished by the time we leave for Winnipeg. It's pleasantly large, even though I am well under gauge for it. I am delighted that I will have a spare ball of each colour at the end of it, which if you've been reading this blog for any amount of time you'll know is a bloody miracle. I may use them to add a few more rows to the border. We'll see:

Meanwhile, I am tired and sore and numb and sad. No, I don't want to talk about it. The best I can do live one moment at a time and see what happens. And maybe make a felted mouse.

Have a good week.


yarnkettle said...

We care, very much. Have been thinking of you and yours all the while. I don’t want to be too intrusive, and never know what to say to help, but know that I’m here if you need/want to talk. Sending all my love.

Su said...

I too send love, hugs and thoughts. Take care of yourself.