Cautiously Optimistic

Hubris calls for nemesis, and in one form or another it's going to get it, not as a punishment from outside but as the completion of a pattern already started. --Mary Midgley

I haven't been blogging much over the past couple of weeks purely because of one reason: I was so tired of saying the same thing over and over again about my current project... not done, getting tired of it, regretting making a project out of crochet squares... blah blah blah. Each time I sat down to write a post I said to myself, "Well, what are we going to say today." And yeah, I had nothing else, really.

I was bound and determined that THIS was the week I had something new to say. I buckled down over the past week with my crochet hook and worked and worked and worked. I developed a good system of making a bunch of the centres and then sitting down with the beige yarn and cranking out square after square.

I must say that it has been an interesting experiment with colours. I was really not sure about a lot of my colour choices, and I kept thinking a lot of them were a lot louder than I really wanted them to be. By the time last week rolled around, I really could not care less. I just smacked whatever colours I thought looked remotely related together:

A friend of mine once told me that white and beige as a background would “deaden” the colours. When I finished my final square, I laid them all out on the floor and I think she's right. I'm not sure if "deaden" is the word I would use, but I would say that it certainly calmed a lot of them down:


My original vision was something a bit more harmonious in colour, but the longer I look at the mish mash of them all together, the more I like the patchwork look of it. I started attaching them together last night and I have already got 42 of the total 54 squares attached in one direction. One row of them is hidden under the collection of stuff I could find to hold it down on the mantle, but it is also much larger than I thought it was going to end up being:
I was dreading joining them together, but I am using the technique shown in this video and it's going so much better than I imagined... so much so that I have this extra dread that somewhere I have screwed something up and I'll have to start all over again. I dare not become so confident. The gods may yet smite me for my hubris.

I've been at this project so long that I have no idea what I'm going to make once it's finished. I still have to join the squares along the opposite axis and then figure out some kind of border. Dare I dream of moving on before I complete this one? Should Icarus have flown so close to the sun?

I think I dare not... at least, not until next week, I think.

Keep your fingers crossed, folks. Stay tuned until next week...

Comments