It's a little lumpy and uneven in places, but I suspect that it might just even out with wear. I worked a row of half double crochet around the edge to hide some of lopsidedness of this thing, and it sort of works. It's soft and comfy, anyway. I'm sure whoever ends up using it won't mind the imperfections... much...
I've still been spinning on my spindle on the side. I'm almost through my 100g of alpaca/merino, and I'll be ready to ply it soon.
I decided the other night that I'd start prepping some of the fibre that I dyed during the dye class I took at Olds Fibre Week a few weeks ago. I was pretty sure it was going to be a tough spin, because the process we used seems to have felted the wool a bit. Both my friends, Tara and dkzack, had a tough time spinning it.
I decided to separate it as thinly as possible, and then predraft it as much as possible. That means that I stretched out the fibres gently as wide as I could without it breaking apart. It was pretty compacted, and it took a long time, but it worked.
And, oh my goodness, is it pretty!
It won't make a lot of yarn, but it'll make a decent little skein for some small project. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying spinning it!
I'm so excited to get on to other things, now that I've finished that blanket. I'm kind of tired of these epic projects, but there doesn't seem to be any way to make things any faster, unless:
- I figure out how to slow down time.
- I develop bionic fingers.
- I learn to knit with my toes.