In and Out of a Pickle

May the light illuminate your hearts and shine in your life every day of the year. May everlasting peace be yours and upon our Earth.” ― Eileen Anglin

We're one day away from the winter solstice. I can't say I've ever anticipated it more than I have this year. I am really feeling the darkness these days. I am very much looking forward to getting a few more minutes of light each day.

I've been working on a very cute little project this week. It is Sophie's Stool, by Dedri Uys. This is a kit I bought a couple of months ago on a whim. I wanted a little foot stool to put next to my knitting chair, and I could not resist this cute wee thing.

I've been delighted with the bright colours. I changed a few of them around as I go, but they were still a delight to look at each round. They are especially cheery during these dark evenings:

The thing is, I did the thing that usually gets me into trouble: I made an assumption. And it got me into a bit of a pickle.

It VERY CLEARLY says in several places in the pattern to check my gauge. "Most people do not crochet as tight as I do," Dedri says. 

But like, every single time I make a crochet project, I am under gauge. So I said to myself, "Ah, she's just like me. It's probably going to match. It'll be fine."

Except I got to the end of the top of the stool, and well... it was decidedly NOT fine. I kept picking it up and placing it back down on the top of the stool as if it was going to somehow magically fit if I kept doing that. Spoiler alert: it didn't.

So I sighed and starting ripping back the last three rounds, thinking that that would make it right. I worked the last border round and placed it back onto the stool. Dang it. Still half an inch too big.

I picked up my phone and started searching for ways to shrink mercerized cotton. I could find no guarantees online. So I got up and sighed, walked into the bathroom, turned on the hot water, and dunked it in. I walked away for a few minutes and came back when the water was no longer scalding hot. I wrung it hard, then got out my hairdryer and blasted it thoroughly with air on the hottest setting, flipping it over again and again to get it thoroughly dry. 

I walked back into the living room with it still slightly damp and placed it on the stool. Frigging yes. It fit. I couldn't believe it. I managed to extract myself out of the pickle.

How's that for a sentence?

Disclaimer: I will not guarantee this method for anyone. I call it dumb luck. The opinions expressed on this blog are not those of reasonable people. Shock your cotton projects at your own risk.

Anyway... I am now working on getting the sides finished. I chose to work it in a hook one size smaller than what I did the top with as I did not want a repeat of the drama above. I also decided to go down the slightly more sedate route and change the sides to a solid charcoal grey and changed the stitches from single crochet/ch 1 to alternating sets of rounds of half double crochet/ch1 and single/ch1, partly because I thought it looked a little dull, but mostly (and more honestly) because I could tell it was going to take forever if I stayed with the smaller stitch.



I was firmly against making the little socks that are supposed to go on each foot of the stool, but I am slowly coming around to the idea. We'll see how I feel about it when I get there.

Truth is, I just want to knock this project out before I play with my new Sampleit loom. I am officially on Christmas holidays and all I want to do is lock myself away with my projects and play to my heart's content. While I have very little interest in Christmas this year, I am grateful to have some time without obligations to do the things I've been putting off for a while. I might make some cookies. I might have a few baths. I might clean out my closet.

Or I might just do what this little elf is doing and sleep a lot. That sounds like the best plan right now.

Stay safe, keep in touch with your friends and family, and make contact with people who might be feeling a bit lonely. See you on the other side.

Comments