Life in Laceweight/Not Quick Sewing

Direction is so much more important than speed. Many are going nowhere fast. ― Germany Kent

I've been busy with life and work and my brain all week that I feel as though I really should have more to show for it. I suppose we expect to have a pile of "accomplishments" at the end of our weeks, but I'm learning that that is not really how life works. 

Side note: If anyone out there actually does know how life works, I'd appreciate it if you could please share your wisdom.

I suppose one of the things we were busy with was trying to get outside instead of my extending my comfortable hermitage at home another day. We went out yesterday to the beach to try out our new beach tent:



Seymour seemed comfortable enough in it, but he quickly got bored and wanted to get outside to people-watch and pee on stuff. In the end, I think I sat in it the most out of all of us, so I'm not sure it was what you might call a roaring success... perhaps more of a puff of good effort:


I've also been doing my usual cooking and baking under Seymour's supervision:



I'm also trying my best to appreciate being able to get outside when it's not too hot:

I so desperately wanted to have more of my current knitting project finished this weekend but, as it always happens, when I try to hurry up and finish something, another thing comes along to scupper the plans. I was very nearly finished up to the shoulders of this tee, but just as I was about to start the last repeat of the pattern I found that I had made an error in one of the sections. I tried to let the stitches down to redo that section, but something about this stitch pattern or this yarn just does not allow me to do that. So I ripped back 12 rows and now I'm twice as far back as what I hoped to be today. Ah well. What more can you say? That's life in laceweight, I guess:

Instead, I decided I'd share a "quick" sewing project I did today. I say that in quotes because I keep getting reminders that sewing is never "quick," at least not for me. It involves pre-washing and drying and pressing and trimming and all kinds of stuff I'm not very organized about:


What I wanted to do was to copy my favourite pencil skirt:


What I like especially about this skirt is that it has no garter in the waistband. It sits nice and smoothly on my waist with no elastic garter cutting into me to make me look like a badly stuffed sausage. It relies on the stretchy nature of the jersey knit itself to create a gentle waistband:


I laid the skirt onto the wrong side of my fabric and carefully traced it out:


I would have shown you the whole process, but I got a bit sidetracked by how many stitches I had to rip out before I got it right. I tell you, there is no such thing as a "quick" sewing project for me. In the end, I had a wearable garment, if somewhat messy and jaggy in the side seams. I'm not sure I did the best job of replicating the "no waistband waistband" but I put it on and I felt pretty ok about it all:


Anyhow, here we are again on a Sunday evening. I've got pork chops on the barbecue and I'm doing my best not to dry them out so I'd better get out there and check on them. Have a great week!

Comments