Reloading...

When the going gets tough, the tough take a nap. --Tom Hodgkinson

The cool, rainy weather continues here on Vancouver Island. We did get a few days of warmth and a few glimpses of sun here and there, but it is a far cry from the drought conditions we had last year. I was hoping to get some more of my houseplants outside, but they just haven't been happy with the temperature out on my already-shaded deck. I'm gratified at least to have salvaged a couple of basil plants that were shivering outside in the garden centre a few weeks ago. They seem to be thriving in my warm kitchen. I'm loathed to trim them... I may wait another couple of weeks before I attempt it:


I've been trying to figure out what to do with the samples I painted at the silk painting workshop I attended a few weeks ago. I decided to frame a couple of them, but it's been really difficult to find square frames! I finally found one I liked online so I have at least one of them sitting on the bedside table in the spare bedroom, but I'm going to have to continue the search for more square frames to get the rest of them out there. Stay tuned...


I've had a few projects brewing in my brain over the past few weeks, but, as it is with all of us "stashers," I was missing a few bits and pieces to bring my ideas to light. I've been slowly accumulating the things I need for a weaving project I've been wanting to attempt for some time. These two reeds and pick up sticks arrived a couple of weeks ago and they're waiting for me to stain them with linseed oil before I warp the loom. I've spent a lot of time learning about yardage requirements, picks, dents per inch, balanced weaves, etc... It's funny how the materials you get so used to working with in one craft are so different in another. I'm hoping my idea works out, but I feel pretty confident that I can bodge something together with the result no matter what happens:


Meanwhile, I am slowly making progress on my Heads or Tails Zebra Bag. I probably could have had more done this week than this, but I'm at least enjoying it whenever I do pick it up to work on. It's always really fun to watch patterns emerge from the yarn, especially when you are following complicated charts like this project has. I've made it through the first half of the charts and I'm only just starting to see the colours changing. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near the centre of the ball of gradient yarn I'm using, but I think it'll be neat to see the gradient from light pink to dark pink at the end of the project.


 One of the reasons I haven't worked much on my projects recently is because I've been having some problems with low energy recently. I've noticed how my energy has dipped really low every few weeks over the past year or so, and I finally went to the doctor to see what was going on. I did a few blood tests and I've discovered that I have really low iron levels and I've started taking supplements and making a few changes to my diet. It explains a lot and I'm glad to know it's not something more serious, but the Type A personality in me has been spending a bunch of time looking up how to get more iron into my diet. If I'm not careful, I'll be sprinkling iron filings on my salad... no, not really. I know it's going to take a while to get topped up, but you can't blame a girl for trying to speed up the process. In the meantime, I feel vindicated knowing that there was a reason for my fatigue apart from sheer laziness. It feels good to know it's perfectly reasonable that I need to nap so much at the moment. It's a good thing I have a good role model to show me the way:


Time for some tea. Have a great week!

Comments