Where I Yet Again Throw Away the Yarn Bands

I have both the violent turbulence of the storm and the quiet promises of God in the storm. And what I must work to remember is that something is not necessarily stronger simply because it’s louder.― Craig D. Lounsbrough

After all the travel we have done over the past year, I thought I was finished with going away anywhere for the next while. I was sure I just wanted to take a break from packing and unpacking, looking for my travel toothbrush, and trying to remember my toothbrush...

And then, a couple of weeks ago, we decided to book a weekend away in Sooke.

We've stayed at this cabin before. It has all the necessities for us: warm fire, comfortable space, a kitchen, and room for a little, snoozy dog:


The first night was less than serene. The south of the Island was hit with gale-force winds that screamed through the trees and rattled my nerves. I hate windstorms. I was frightened as all heck, and more than once I wanted to hide under the bed. It was not my favourite night.

And then the next day, the rain stopped, the power came back on, and the world seemed totally fine again. I felt glad to get outside and breathe the fresh air and enjoy my surroundings:








I decided I should stop in at Sooke Yarn and Fibre while I was there. I had absolutely no business buying any more yarn, but after the terrifying night I had before, I really didn't care. I wanted to immerse myself in colour and comfort, and if that isn't what a yarn shop is, then I don't know what to tell you. I felt happy to chat away to the owner while I walked around.

I was immediately drawn to this batch of yarns, a mixture of different fibre types curated by the owners of the shop and spun in Manitoba. The cream and sage coloured skeins are merino, and that lovely brown is CVM (California Variegated Mutant). They were sitting together on the shelf and they looked so lovely together that I thought I better bring them all home. I think they are going to become a nice, warm cowl or a pretty hat:


I also decided to take these green skeins of Cascade Heritage Sock as well. I have been trying (and failing) to get another stripe experiment off the ground for over a year now, but the skeins I have in my stash are of such a unique variegation that I couldn't figure out a good solid that would go with it. I kept trying my old standbys of cream and grey and even gold... but I think this green will do the trick. Stay tuned...


Speaking of stripe experiments, my current sweater project is nearing completion. I'm just about to finish the shoulders and then I will add a collar and front bands:



... except I'm totally going to run out of cream-coloured yarn. Surprise, surprise. And you know what else? I didn't keep the frigging yarn bands when I bought the cream yarn, so I don't even know if it's supposed to be cream or white, and the website I need to order them from carries both. So what did I do?

I bought a bunch of both. Of course I did. What else is an obsessed stripe-experiment girl to do? I'm sure I'll use them... right?

Alright, I'm off to convince Seymour that, despite the time change, it is NOT actually dinner time yet. Have a good week!

Comments

casey said…
What a beautiful, peaceful spot (after the storm)! I also hate windstorms and retail therapy would have been the only logical way to cope with that, for sure. And buying both cream and white for the stripe experiment was logical anyway, because who's to say the dye lots would be the same? Right? So you can just pick the best match now regardless. I can justify any yarn purchase, haha.