Big Weekend Plans

There are days when any electrical appliance in the house, including the vacuum cleaner, seems to offer more entertainment than the TV set. --Harriet Van Horne

It's a holiday here today. I had an extra long weekend since I was off last Friday. Everyone always asks me what I have planned for the weekend, and I always kind of stammer because the best plan I have is to take a lot of naps and knit... which of course, as you folks already know, is the best plan ever. We did think about going out for a day trip on one of the days, but the forecast kept saying it might rain, so we ended up just staying home. I didn't mind so much. I like staying home.

But I also kinda want to go on vacation. Heh. Maybe some time.

This weekend, I did make plans to work through one of the online watercolour courses I've been saving on Domestika.org for a while. I sat down on Friday and watched some of the videos, then I got out a sketchbook and dutifully started doing some of the exercises to catalogue some of the strokes that my brushes were capable of doing:


But I am not really that kind of learner. I was not one to make a myriad of dishcloths when I first learned to knit (my first project was a long cardigan). I decided to pull out one of the paper bags I'd been saving and do my practice brushwork on it instead. I think I like where this is going:


The next day, Seymour took us shopping at Canadian Tire:


And I bought an air fryer. I have been using the blessed thing nearly every other moment: potato wedges and chicken fingers for dinner on Saturday night, then falafel wraps on Sunday for lunch:


Today, I was playing around with this:



Which became these: Air Fried Maple Glazed Donuts. And while they are indeed not the same as your everyday donut (I think the recipe could have been better), I challenge you to tell me that dough dipped in melted maple sugar is not a tasty thing:


Meanwhile, I did not do as much knitting as I hoped I would, but I was pleased to at least get this thing past the sleeve separation stage so that I could at least prove to you that it's going to actually be a garment. I have had several false starts on it. I started trying to knit it from the bottom up, but I didn't really know how it was all going to work. I kept saying, "I really want the top to be made with the golden yellow yarn." And after several ripping stages, I asked myself, "Why don't you just start at the top with the golden yellow yarn?

There were still a couple of false starts after that, as I was using the contiguous method to form the shoulder and sleeve caps and totally miscalculated the first time. Now, I think I've got this thing under control... at least for the moment. The next few knitting sessions will just be some relaxing stripes knitted in the round. I'm looking forward to it:


But first, I'm going to try out an air fried pork tenderloin for dinner. Yes, I am obsessed. But what else would you expect of me?

Have a great week!

Comments

karen said…
I do love that sweater color!! I've been in a knitting mood more so than ever, I am grateful for that!