Apparently, I'm Vintage Now

The minute you think that the past was better, your present is second hand, and yourself becomes vintage - it’s okay for clothes not that great for people. --Karl Lagerfeld

I have not worn jeans in a couple of years. Jeans are awful. You go into the store, try on 37 pairs, get hot, sweaty, and annoyed, and then go home with nothing. I have been quite happy to avoid shopping for jeans for as long as possible.

And then I went to Walmart.

I stop in at Walmart bi-weekly to pick up my supply of Greek yogurt and protein bars. The price simply cannot be beaten. And of course, I am often distracted by other wares on offer - usually a little t-shirt dress or some shoelaces or a comfy pair of sweatpants.

But then I saw some jeans. Super, fricking cute jeans:


So I grabbed a couple of pairs and tried them on. Man, they were cute. So I went out and got another pair in a different colour and took them home. Then I looked at the label.

"Vintage Straight Leg Jeans," one label said

"90's style," another label said.

SAY WHAT???

Ok, so apparently I am now part of the vintage age. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But you know what? I just want to declare to all of the young people right now that THIS IS HOW PANTS SHOULD FIT. Don't you dare bring back skinny jeans and low rise jeans and any other stupid fitting pairs of jeans. Pants fit like THIS, y'all. This is not VINTAGE. It's NORMAL.

End rant.

Anyway, the one thing that annoyed me about these was that the hems were unfinished. I don't know, maybe they were going for grunge 90's look at the beach, who knows. I was not about to go around with stringy hems, though.

So I got pressing:


And then I got sewing:


And now I have a perfectly good pair of jeans that actually fit me... of vintage style. Heh. We'll go with that, I guess:


I also finished my pair of embroidered Vans this week, and man are they also ever cute:


I was pretty pleased that I was able to make them look mostly identical:


I may add more to them at some point, but I was eager to get them finished so I could move on to something else:


It's been warm and sunny for the past couple of days here on Vancouver Island, so we've been out and about for a few adventures:




I'm also happy to start on the pair of shoes that I'm embroidering for my friend's wedding. I am pleasantly surprised to find that these Converse sneakers are much easier to embroider than the Vans. The fabric isn't quite so thick... either that, or I have developed some super strong and nimble fingers after working on the first pair! I am enjoying the elegance of the off-white against the white fabric. I am enjoying watching how the pattern forms:


Except I stabbed my finger just now and decided I'd better wait for my finger to stop bleeding before I continue. Blood is probably not something I should smear all over a white sneaker.

I'm off to go enjoy my new jeans. Have a great week!

Comments

YarnKettle said…
Yet another entry into how you are my soulmate. Jeans shopping is the worst. Please continue to proudly declare our vintage status. The shoes are wonderful. You may be the most talented person I know!
karen said…
Your sneakers turned out lovely! you must love wearing them. I wear gap jeans regular length - they are the only ones that are long enough!!