Things To Do in Ottawa

It would seem I wouldn’t have written anything if I weren’t influenced by Canada’s history, its weather, the landscape, and its stories. –Anne McDonald

Way back in November on Black Friday, I booked a trip to Ottawa with a friend. We didn't really know if we were going to be able to go, but we figured it was a good deal and we could always cancel it if life got in the way and made other plans for us.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and I suddenly realized that this trip was just around the corner. It was almost like a surprise - and I'd even forgotten that I'd already paid for it, so it almost felt like a free trip. And I was glad that we were going.

I haven't been to Ottawa since I was eighteen. It's a pretty place, our nation's capital, and a beautiful place to visit. Some things haven't changed at all:


But I was happy to explore and see things I'd never seen before. I was glad that our accommodation was in Gatineau, right on the Ottawa River. It was a lovely thing to wake up to see in the mornings:



And particularly pretty in the evenings:


I did the normal things I enjoy doing when I'm exploring a new place. I took walks and took photos of flowers:




I visited a yarn shop. Yes, I bought yarn and thread and lots of other goodies:


I visited some art stores. Yes, I bought pens and pencils and other goodies:

For some reason, I kept seeing llamas. Who knew Ottawa would have llamas everywhere?




I visited bakeries:




I visited the National Gallery. It was equal parts austere and impressive:



I sat entranced in the Rideau Chapel, whose entire interior was moved into the gallery. 


We stopped in at an art market which we only happened upon because of a detour on the road. I love those kinds of discoveries:


We explored interesting shops:

And markets:



And fabulous bookstores:


It was a wonderful trip, full of all the things I love. I'm not a FOMO traveler. I prefer to arrive, look at the map, and then open the door to wander. And I find that most of the time, interesting things happen. And I was very happy that it all worked out well and we had a wonderful time.

Unfortunately, I caught a cold and am currently recovering from it. Ah well... after three years of not having a cold, it was bound to happen. It just means that I've had time to work on my next project. I had warped my loom the week before I left, and it was ready and waiting for me when I got back. Check out this beautiful sight:




While it sucks having to work through a cold, I feel renewed after my time away. I feel like it's been a while since I've had a chance to explore my own daydreams. I feel as though I was away for a couple of weeks rather than just five days.

So here I sit, with Seymour to keep my company whilst I daydream:


And my souvenir llama to make me smile. His name is Guapo. That means handsome:



Have a great week!
 

Comments