A Book From Nowhere

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science. ―-Albert Einstein, The World As I See It

I've been tired a lot recently. New schedules, new procedures, new routines... it's involving a lot of brainpower and, as a result, a lot of sleep. Seymour will now demonstrate what I mean:


I was hoping to have more squares finished for my blanket this week, but I've found myself zoning out on the couch most of the time when I'm not at work. I am quite alright with this. I learned a long time ago that a tired yarnie should not touch yarn. It's a recipe for disaster.

Meanwhile, we had a bit of a mystery this week. The hubby appeared in the living room one day after checking the mail waving a parcel in my general direction.

"Looks like your order arrived," he said. 

"Oh," I said. Like most of the rest of the Western world right now, most new purchases arrive in the mail these days. The trouble is, I couldn't think of anything I had ordered recently. Given my current tired brain these days, that is not entirely shocking. But when I opened the parcel, I found this:


It's a journal where each page is split into five sections and you're supposed to write a line in one section each day for one year, then the next year, you write in the second section on each page, whilst reflecting on what you wrote the previous year. And so on and so forth for five years of journaling and reflecting. It's a nice idea and an interesting way to journal.

Except I didn't order it. I don't know anything about where it came from, apart from the fact that it was sent via Royal Mail from the UK. There were no notes or messages or cards in it, not even a packing slip. I messaged a few of my UK friends, awkwardly trying to question them to see if they had tried to send a surprise gift. None of them knew anything about it.

So yeah. I have a journal from somewhere in the UK from someone I don't know who somehow knows my address. That's weird... but I guess there are worse things I could get from nowhere.

Meanwhile, I've spent most of this weekend looking out at the front garden, looking at the blooms which are slowly starting to open. It's an exciting time of year for the garden:


I've also spent the weekend cooking up lunches and dinners in preparation for the coming week. I also experimented with a baked veggie and salmon tart today. It was awesome:


And I did finish a couple of squares this week, which I am happy about... even if it wasn't the big pile I hoped to be sharing today. It's been challenging to keep my tension consistent and to produce squares that are all roughly the same size. I sorta wish I'd just winged it and made a few improvised granny squares, but I think I'm going to be happier with the result if I keep going on this. I'm just hoping I don't get bored before I get enough to make a blanket:


Bored, you say?


Anyway, I'm off to make some dinner. Have a good, safe week!

Comments