Twists and Turns: Cake and Life

Clay in the hands of a good potter suffers so many good turns, but in the end, we see its real and true shape and form! ―- Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
I often wonder what I would be doing if I had taken a different route in life amongst its many twists and turns. I sometimes wonder if I could be an artist. Or maybe I would be in marketing. Or maybe I would be a cook. Or maybe I would work in a kitchenware shop... so I could spend my day looking at cool things like this:


That, friends, is a Nordicware Heritage Bundt Tin. Yes, it has a name. And yes, you need to use some cooking spray in it. And yes, it is heavier than it looks.

Maybe I could have been a baker.

It was a rainy, grey day outside, so I decided to turn the kitchen into this:


Which then turned into this. The recipe is called Persephone, A Zingy Grapefruit Yogurt Cake:


How's that for an example of twists and turns?


The recipe called for a grapefruit-infused icing to drizzle over the top. I stood over the cake for a while trying to figure out the best way to drizzle icing over it without making it look like someone had sneezed over it by accident. In the end, I stood over it with a spoon in my hand, carefully guiding the icing into each of those grooves:


I think it worked out ok. And it's always nice to have extra icing pooling on the sides... I call it dipping sauce:


I agonized over how I was going to cut it, but the hubby suggested I just go for it and cut it like any other cake. And well, that turned out pretty cool as well. And it tasted even better if I do say so myself:


Meanwhile, I had a crazy week... real life came back to me and my work re-opened, which involved a lot of planning and a lot of supplies and a lot of meetings and emails and text messages at all hours of the day... and I think it affected my yarn mojo because the project that this was supposed to be was kind of a flop. So I would it all back and left it on the table for a time when I have more energy and more patience and fewer emails to read:


Instead, I pulled out a colour sampler back I ordered a few weeks ago. I've been daydreaming about a quilt I saw online a while back which was made of lots of cute little faux squares and immediately thought to myself, "I wonder if I could make something like that."

I love the watercolour-like palette of this sampler box. Maybe I could have been a painter... but I'm not very good at making colour combinations.

But playing with these is good practice. The trouble is that I'm not working off a single blanket pattern but rather a few random crochet square patterns, and I'm having a bit of a challenge trying to keep them all the same size. I think I've got it mostly worked out now:


I've been resting for most of this weekend, trying to recover from all that happened last week. I looked over at Seymour yesterday and realized that he was demonstrating a career I might be pretty good at...

Professional Napper. Looks like the ticket to me.


Time for dinner and more rest. Have a good week.

Comments

YarnKettle said…
I love looking at your baking and reading your posts. You are a wonderful person my friend!